What certificates and documents do I need to sell my home?

Ad Banner
what documents do I need to sell a house

If you need to sell a house, you may be wondering ‘what documents do I need to sell a home’? Well, there’s quite a few! Luckily your solicitor or conveyancer should guide you through the process and sort most of the paperwork out on your behalf. But, it’s always worth having the documents you need ready to speed up the process.

When you’re selling a property, there’s a list of documents you need to have in order. Some of these documents include a TA6 Property Information Form, a TA7 Leasehold Information Form, TA10 or “Fixtures and Fittings Form”, and if appropriate, a Share Certificate.

These certificates are necessary for the sale of the property and provide the buyer with the necessary information to make an informed decision. Moreover, you’ll also need an Electrical Installation Condition Report to prove that the home is safe and well-maintained.

As the potential buyer decides to purchase your home, they’ll want to see how well your home uses energy, so having the right documents in place is vital.

If you’re looking for something specific, check out our interactive menu:

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

We ask this in order to deliver you a better experience.

What paperwork do i need to sell my house

The most important document you need to sell your home is the Property Information Form or TA6 form, which takes a more indepth look at your property in its current form and status.

Any documents noted in this form need to be provided, so you will need to ensure you have all the things on this list before you sell a home:

  • Property boundaries documentation: Have documentation detailing the precise boundaries of your property.
  • Neighbour complaints record: Include any record of previous complaints from neighbours, if applicable.
  • Local development proposals: Provide information on any upcoming or proposed developments in the local area that might impact the property.
  • Planning permissions and building work history: Include all relevant documents related to planning permission and past building alterations carried out on the property.
  • Guarantees and warranties documentation: Provide any existing guarantees and warranties for components such as solar panels or any pertinent features of the property.
  • Insurance details: Include detailed information about your property’s insurance, including the approximate cost and any specific aspects that might affect the insurance coverage.
  • Environmental matters report: Provide information on any potential environmental concerns within the property, such as flooding risks, as well as the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).
  • Home services assessment: Include a detailed assessment of the current condition of your home services, including the boiler, heating system and electrical wiring.
  • Tenant information, if applicable: If there are tenants currently residing in the property, include details about their status and whether they intend to remain post-sale.
  • Utility connection details: Include documentation confirming the property’s connection to utilities such as water, electricity and gas.
  • Additional charges information: Provide details about any additional charges related to the property, such as lease costs or maintenance costs.
  • Transaction information: Include all transaction-related details, such as proposed moving dates and any specific requirements associated with the process.

What other documents do I need to sell my home?

If you need to sell your house, and are wondering what other property paperwork you need for your solicitors, then here is our certificate and documentation checklist:

Proof of identity

To comply with legal requirements against money laundering, you must provide a valid form of identification such as a passport or driving licence, along with a recent bank statement or utility bill, not older than three months, to confirm your identity.

The Fittings and Contents Form (TA10)

A seller fills in a TA10 form in order to let a buyer know what’s included within the property sale. This could be anything from white goods like carpets or hot tubs.

Land Registry Title Documents

If you are wondering ‘do I need a deed to sell my house?’, the answer is yes! Ensure you have the title deeds that prove your ownership of the property. If you can’t locate them, check with your mortgage company, as they might be holding the original deeds. In the case of an unregistered property, you’ll need to initiate the process of “first registration” with the help of your conveyancer.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

If your property was purchased within the last ten years, there’s likely an EPC in place. Verify this on the government’s EPC database. If your property doesn’t have an EPC, it’s a legal requirement to obtain one before listing the property for sale.

Leasehold documents

If your property is leasehold, you’ll need to have your lease on hand. Confirm the lease’s duration, ground rent, service charges, and any potential increments, which your estate agent should outline in any marketing materials.

Properties with leases of less than 80 years might face challenges during the sale. If you’ve resided in the property for at least two years, consider initiating the lease extension process.

What other leasehold information do you need?

You will need to provide all your lease details, including service charges, ground rent, and administration fees. Your conveyancer will communicate with the freeholder or managing agent to obtain the leasehold information pack, a process that is quite time consuming. Don’t delay in initiating this step, as potential buyers will likely inquire about these particulars.

Buildmark (NHBC) or New Home Policy Documents

If you’re selling a new build or a property less than 10 years old, ensure you possess a copy of the Buildmark (NHBC) or any other new home policy/warranty documents. These serve as valuable assurances for potential buyers.

Gas Safety Certification

Although not legally mandatory, presenting a gas safety certificate from a Gas Safe registered engineer demonstrates goodwill and reassures potential buyers regarding the safety of the boiler. Additionally, for your own safety, it’s advisable to obtain this certificate regularly, especially if you have a gas boiler.

Electrical Compliance Certificate

For any electrical alterations made since January 2005, a “part P Building Regulation Certificate” is legally required. Ensure you have this certificate ready for your solicitor to pass on to the buyer. If the certificate is misplaced, contact the electrician who conducted the work.

FENSA certificate or CERTASS certificate for windows

If you’ve replaced windows in your property, you must provide a FENSA or CERTASS certificate, confirming compliance with building regulations. Verify the validity of these certificates, which usually last for 10 years. In cases where certificates are missing, you might need to consider obtaining indemnity insurance for the new owner.

Planning permission and Building regulation certificates

Provide evidence of the appropriate consents and approvals for any alterations made to the property. Include copies of planning permissions, building regulations approvals, and completion certificates. Disclose any unauthorised work and alterations, along with details of any unfinished building work.

Guarantees and other warranties

Maintain records of receipts or guarantees for any remedial work carried out, such as treatments for issues like damp or Japanese knotweed. Ensure you also have warranties for electrical appliances or other fixtures and fittings you intend to leave behind. This demonstrates responsible homeownership and enhances buyer confidence.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

We ask this in order to deliver you a better experience.

Why do you need documents to sell a house?

Documents and certificates are vital when selling a house because they ensure that you comply with the legal obligations of conveyancing and property transactions. These documents serve as proof of ownership, compliance with building regulations and proof of obtaining planning permissions.

Having the property documentation helps foster transparency in the sales process. Potential buyers are usually more comfortable and confident when they have access to information about the property they are considering purchasing.

Documentation provides concrete and legal evidence of the property’s boundaries, historical alterations, and any potential risks associated with the property such as environmental concerns or pending development plans in the area.

Furthermore, most mortgage lenders and insurance providers require specific documentation before they approve financing or coverage for the property. Having the necessary paperwork in order can facilitate the transaction process with these entities.

What documents do I need to sell my house: FAQs

If you are still wondering ‘what documents are needed to sell a house’, please check out our FAQs page below:

Do I need a gas and electric certificate to sell my house?

It’s not a legal requirement to get a Gas Safety Certificate to sell your house, but it is a legal requirement to have an up to date EPC and Electrical Compliance Certificate.

Do you need deeds to sell a house?

Yes, you need to have your title deeds to sell your house as you need to be able to prove that you are the legal owner of the property.

Do I need a damp proof certificate to sell my house?

It’s not a legal requirement to have a damp proof certificate to sell your house, but it can help to increase buyer confidence and speed up the process. If a property suffers from dampness and you do not disclose it, you could face a potential devaluation of up to 53%.

What’s the difference between an EPC and EIC?

An EPC is a document that provides information about a property’s energy use and usual energy use. It rates the energy efficiency of a building on a scale from A to G, with A being the most energy efficient and G the least.

The EPC also provides recommendations on how to improve the property’s energy efficiency. It is a legal requirement for properties being sold or rented and is valid for 10 years.

An EIC, or Electrical Installation Certificate is a document issued by a qualified electrician to confirm that the electrical installation work has been carried out in accordance with the appropriate regulations.

This certificate is required for all new electrical installations, including alterations and additions to existing installations. The EIC ensures that the electrical work in a property meets the necessary safety standards.

Who pays for electrical safety certificates when selling a house?

Usually the property owner will pay for an electrical certificate to be undertaken.

What if the property I’m selling is leasehold?

When selling a leasehold property there are several documents that you need to have ready, including:

  • Service charge information: Compile details regarding the service charges applicable to the property, including any historical records and upcoming changes.
  • Ground rent documentation: Provide information about the ground rent associated with the property including payment history and any potential alterations.
  • Maintenance fee records: Include a detailed breakdown of any maintenance fees associated with the property, along with any anticipated maintenance schedules or costs.
  • Future major work plans: Disclose any planned major works that might impact the property, along with their projected costs and timelines.
  • Property insurance policy details: Ensure you have all the necessary information related to the property’s insurance policy, including coverage details and any recent claims.
  • Property management company details: Provide information about any property management company responsible for managing the leasehold. Include contact details and any relevant documentation related to the management of the property.
  • Asbestos surveys and external wall fire reviews: Include records of any asbestos surveys conducted on the property, along with details of any external wall fire reviews performed. These documents help ensure compliance with safety regulations and provide assurance to potential buyers.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

We ask this in order to deliver you a better experience.

Tom is a Digital Content Writer passionate about sustainable property & property trends. Regardless of the subject, he will always write blogs of the best calibre. Read more about Tom here.

Ad Banner
About Tom Condon 127 Articles
Tom is a Digital Content Writer passionate about sustainable property & property trends. Regardless of the subject, he will always write blogs of the best calibre. Read more about Tom here.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.